Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chris Legacy - Why I started BJJ

This is a part of a guest blogger series that we will be doing in 2011 and beyond. We will be featuring stories and entries from some of the students here at Simmler BJJ. This is our second teammate who's life has been changed by getting involved with BJJ.


Here is what Chris had to say about is his first year training BJJ.




"I knew, by the end of 2009, that I wanted to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu; it was an idea I had thought long and hard about. I also knew I wanted to attend the best academy in the area, one that would challenge me and prepare me for competition. A friend of mine had trained at Simmler BJJ for years, so I knew ahead of time that I would receive the top-notch instruction I was looking for. When I discovered this first-hand, it was no surprise. However, it didn’t take much time for me to realize that this academy had more to offer than just superior training. 


In a matter of only a few months, I found myself stronger and faster than I had ever been; I was eating better, sleeping better, and just living better all around. I was even lucky enough to make some new friends in the process. Because of the friendly encouragement I got from Dan and his students, I quickly lost all reservations I had about being the fighter I knew I could be (not mention loads of bodyfat!) Most importantly, I discovered a deep passion for jiu jitsu that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Stepping through the door at Simmler BJJ was the best thing I could have ever done. I’m very happy to say, in the end, I got more than I bargained for."

Thanks for sharing Chris! It has been great to see Chris' progress at the academy. On any given day you'll find Chris tweaking and working on his techniques. Chris has been a great addition to the team and we are proud of his hard work and representing SBJJ on the mats!


For other SBJJ students reading this, we want to hear your stories of success at the academy. Whether your goal is to get in shape, to compete, to be a champion, we want to hear it. Feel free to reach out to Dale Kline or Dan Fontaine if you are interested in contributing to the team blog.

- Simmler BJJ

No comments:

Post a Comment